Thursday, April 9, 2015

Norway Part Eight-Excursion to Sweden and Goodbye

Monday 4/6/15

We saw all we wanted to in Olso so we decided to rent a car and drive to Sweden! The coastal town of Strömstad was only an hour south from Oslo. We set the GPS and two hours later arrived at a random persons house north of Oslo…Turns out we set our GPS to Strömstad street in a random town. So…we fixed the address and three hours later ended up in Sweden! 

I loved having the boys in Scandinavia. It was both their first times out of the US. After three months in Sweden there is a lot I have gotten use to. They reminded me of all the different and peculiar things like  the different toilets and especially the cars! We saw so many Audis and Volvos. Also there were a bunch of Teslas, fully electric and cool looking cars. They are pretty expensive but Norway is a really rich country. Now in the US there are enough charging stations so you can drive across the country in one. 

On our way back across the border we came across a giant candy store! Godis (Swedish for candy) is a huge deal in Sweden. Norway is really expensive and has a really high tax on luxuries like candy, tobacco and alcohol. Therefore many Norwegians go across the border for their vices. The mega candy store was located right to a second liquor store the town was forced to open because of so many Norwegian customers. Also in the candy store was a cigarette and tobacco section. What a combination! 

Packing to depart Adam and I both decided we didn't want our old coats. So instead of throwing them away we asked one of the men on the street if he wanted them. Every time we walked down this road he was there on his knees holding out a cup for change. It was unclear if he was Roma. The Roma people have taken over most of Europe begging for strong currencies and then returning home and exchanging the money favorably. Either was this man caught our eye. He had the saddest look on always. We referred to him as Sad Man. So Adam and I on our last night gave him some left over Kronor change and he took our coats. He gave us a little smile. We got Sad Man to smile and that made our night.

I was sad to say goodbye at the airport. I have 8 more weeks in Europe away from my family, my home and many of my friends. I feel blessed in life. Whether it is home in Sioux Falls, Gustavus or in Sweden I have many people I care about and who care about me. Leaving each place and heading to another is always bittersweet but it makes me more appreciative of all the love and fortune in my life. 

Kyle and Sid in the front

Picnic time

yum lunch!

The harbor of Stromstad

Adam and I climbing on the rocks of the shore

Sidney in the Super Godis Shop

Adam enjoying a kebab for our last dinner in Norway

1 comment:

  1. Always corroborate your GPS thingamabob with a highway map! I suppose I needn't have said that since you learned that lesson the hard way, but I had to anyway. I am so happy you made the Sad Man smile!

    ReplyDelete