Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Norway Part One-Welcome to Oslo

Saturday 3/28/15

Spring break! Saturday morning Sidney and I went to the airport. Adam and Kyle landed at the Stockholm airport at 7:20AM. We were flying to Oslo with them at 8:30AM. They announced last call and Adam and Kyle were nowhere to be seen! Sidney boarded but I couldn't leave without them! Sidney said she would see me in Oslo and they shut the door to the plane. I was running back and forth from the counter to the hallway asking the lady to page them and looking for the boys. Turns out they were stuck in a huge security line. I think my distress was convincing because when they showed up at 8:35 the plane was still there and we were able to load!!

After the dramatics we were on our way to Norway. I was so excited to see Adam and that we made our flight! When we arrived in Oslo we walked to our hostel. There was confusion about our reservations. We left our bags in their luggage room and went out to sight see. The rooming was all figured out when we got back. My reservation ended up begin for the hotel next door. It was luxury after the last two months. The bed came pre made and I didn't have to clean my room when I left.

We went to the Akershus Fortress and Castle. It was built in 1290 and was the house for royalty during the middle ages. It was built to protect the capital of Norway.

Afterwards we went to the nearby Norwegian WWII Resistance/Home-front Museum or Norges Hjemmefront Museum. Norway and Denmark declared neutrality during WWII but Germany disregarded this. April 9, 1940 the Nazis invaded. Denmark surrendered but did not join the axis cause. Norway however had just finally gained its independence from Sweden in 1905 so they did not feel like losing their freedom again. They fought fiercely and this museum tells the history.

We ended the day with the Nobel Peace Center. They had the outfit Malala Yousafzai was wearing when she was shot in the head by the Taliban. She won the Nobel Peace Prize last year for her fight for women's education against the beliefs of the Taliban in her home country, Pakistan.

Atop the rampart
Adam, Kyle and Sidney in the castle 
Castle Tower

1 comment:

  1. I can just see you fritzing out at the airport. What a close call!

    ReplyDelete