Monday, February 23, 2015

Mora Week Tre

Onsdag (Wednesday) 2/18/15

Last Wednesday we had a field trip to the Anders Zorn Museum. We toured Zorn's magnificent house and then wandered through the art exhibits. Anders Zorn was the son of a women from Mora and a German she met working at a factory. He was raised by his grandparents and his artistic talent was discovered when he was a preteen. The picture of the house below he lived in with his wife Emma who came from a rich family. To prove himself worthy, Zorn had to travel throughout Europe painting portraits of the wealthy and the royal. Zorn even painted two American presidents. A portrait of Taft painted by Zorn still hangs in The White House. He is the only Swedish artist represented in the President's house.
For further information you can go to http://zorn.se/en/

Sidney and I in front of his house.

 Kenzie and Sidney in the silver room.
 Anders Zorn self portrait in his wolf coat. 
Zorn's wood carvings of his grandmother and mother.

Torsday (Thursday) 2/19/15

Another day of class and study!

Fredag (Friday) 2/20/15

The morning and afternoon were filled with class. For dinner we had another family meal. This time American breakfast! I missed bacon and eggs :) Afterwards some of the Swedish students performed for us. They play in a melodic death metal band. Thankfully they supplied ear plugs. I really enjoyed the beat and enthusiasm of the members!



They are called "Non Divine Sun"

Lördag (Saturday) 2/21/15

Finally I got to go skiing! A handful of us went to Grönklitt just outside Mora. They had quite a few runs but only T-bar lifts. It was weird not sitting down on the way up. I had a blast! Kenzie went with me and she used to race in high school.

Zach, Pat, Kenzie, Me, Erin, Britta


There was a zoo next to one of the ski trails! We just happened to see a leopard one run down!

Sondag (Sunday) 2/22/15

For lunch, Hannah and I ate chicken wings at O'Leary's. It is a Boston themed grill and bar. I was sure I wasn't going to be able to get wings here! Then, the two boys from our group and a Swedish student decided they would try surstromming which is a traditional Swedish food also called stinky fish. I have never smelled anything so rancid…we opened it outside and under water. It isn't allowed on airplanes because pressure builds up from it decomposing and it explodes. Two of the three boys ended up spitting it out. I can't believe some Swedes actually like it! I also got to teach some more rugby to some of the students. Great day!

Hannah and our wings!

 Pat opening the fish...



Måndag (Monday) 2/23/15

Just more class :) I have a test on Friday :(

2 comments:

  1. a 'melodic death metal band' - interesting; I want a wolf coat! Did you try the surstromming? sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could totally see you in a wolf coat! And NO I didn't try to stinky fish. The smell made me gag.

      Delete