Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Jokkmokk Part Sju (7) & Travel to Mora

Sunday 2/8/15

By Sunday everyone is pretty worn out. Its been four nights sleeping on the floor all together. We've had a few snorers but we just kick their beds and they usually stop. Apparently I lightly snore sometimes… Since we all didn't have homework during the market, a lot of us used some of the time to enjoy our pleasure reading books. There was a long couch in the range we named the bok (book) club. I personally brought seven books that I've been passing on to others as I finish them. I really love what a great group we have. Gusties in general are social but they love to learn and better themselves.

The owner of the gun club, Sven, set up a shooting competition for us. Ten of us paid 20 kronor each, so about $2.50, to shoot $1500 dollar air soft guns! They are the same type that are used in the Olympics. The boys got second and third place and Sidney got third. They even got trophies! We were all very happy we simply asked him if we could shoot sometime.

Me

Hannah

 Zach, Pat, Sidney
Zach, Pat, Sidney, Me, Kenzie, Sven
Laura, Hannah, Ruby, Lindsey, Becca


Monday 2/9/15

Hej då Jokkmokk! (Goodbye) Monday we packed all of our bags (which was difficult because we all bought so many souvenirs from the market). Part of us were sad to leave because we love Jokkmokk so much but we are all excited for the new adventure. We all got pretty annoyed with all the people that flooded into the town and when they all left Saturday the town was trashed.

The whole trip totaled 18 hours of travel. We had a 2hr bus, 13hr train, 2hr train, 1hr train. We were all happy to be not have killed each other by the time we arrived at our new lodging.

Tuesday 2/10/15

We officially landed in Mora, SE around noon Tuesday. Members from the folk high school we are staying at picked us up from the train station. From what I know so far, the school is a type of alternative high school where students can study crafts and a variety of art areas. Our rooms are amazing!! After sleeping on a floor for five nights and then a train, my real bed is luxurious! I even have my own room! Hannah is next to me and we share a bathroom. I only share a bathroom with one other person!

Sidney and I eating chips and watching Fried Green Tomatoes on the train



Tuesday afternoon we met several students and our swedish instructor, who was actually born in Minnesota. I am the only student studying Swedish that doesn't have any previous learning. I love to learn languages though so it'll be fun! The class is informal and not for credit. After this semester I will have studied tre (3) languages in addition to English. I can usually understand what they are talking about when she is slow and repeats herself, but the speaking is difficult with no frame of reference. I am eager to learn some basic vocal and grammar. Here are some phrases I know. Spelling might be iffy.

Jag hater Alexa-My name is Alexa
(inte) bra-(not) good
Tack så mycket-Thanks so much
Jag taller inte svenska-I don't speak swedish

2 comments:

  1. A SHORT paper? Glad to see you are not just whooping it up all the time, but doing some actual work. That's some good shooting! But it looks like you were outgunned. Glogg? I thought the word was grog. ha! Hope you don't become a rummy. luvyadearly

    ReplyDelete