Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Amateur Ethnographer/Take Off


I am through security and at the gate in Minneapolis! Our professor's name is spelled wrong on his ticket so hopefully he doesn't get stopped at customs in Stockholm! Next time I message I will be landed in Umeå, where I will be spending the first week abroad. 

About to leave the hotel for the airport.
Right to Left: Me, Thumper, Sidney, Mackenzie.


Yesterday at orientation we learned about ethnography, which is the anthropological method of studying other cultures. To practice taking field notes we were sent to the Mall of America and for an hour we were told to sit in a place and basically people watch. Below is a picture of me sitting outside the entrance of Best Buy writing down what I see about the culture of the mall. We all felt weird observing people but it was an interesting exercise. We will have an ethnographic assignment throughout the semester.



1 comment:

  1. That is a little creepy! But I suppose it is okay if it advances the good causes of science and education.

    ReplyDelete